Are you losing sleep because of a snoring partner? Looking for an effective snoring solution?
Snoring is a major issue, and it’s not just the snorer who is negatively impacted. Many household members of snorers throughout Australia suffer the consequences of another person’s snoring; none more so than the snorer’s sleeping partner. A snoring partner has huge implications on your own quality of sleep. Disturbed sleep, in turn, has its implications – on your health, well-being, and yes, your relationship.
The Importance of a Good Night’s Sleep
Quality sleep is critical to your health and well-being. While the occasional night of poor sleep will not generally be harmful, regular, ongoing disrupted sleep has an array of chronic health and quality-of-life implications.
Moderate sleep deprivation causes mental impairment equivalent to that resulting from mild alcohol intoxication. Longer-term, chronic sleep impairment may cause significant damage to the body and the brain. Your ongoing health and well-being depend on regularly getting a good night’s sleep.
Health Effects of a Snoring Partner
People who achieve fewer than a minimum of six hours of deep sleep every night are medically proven to be at higher risk of:
- Weight gain – which in turn increases the risk of snoring!
- Heart disease
- Compromised immunity
If you don’t sleep well, you’re more likely to experience daytime tiredness, irritability, lack of concentration, and poor mental and physical performance. You’re also statistically more likely to be involved in or cause a workplace or motor vehicle accident. A snoring partner may be the direct cause of your compromised sleep quantity or quality.
Relationship Implications of a Snoring Partner
It’s not just your physical and mental health that is at risk from a snoring partner disrupting your sleep. Snoring may also disrupt your relationship. Irritability and sleep deprivation frequently result in conflict, resentment, feelings of guilt, and compromise your intimacy.
Partners of habitual snorers resort to various measures to deal with their snoring partner and the effect of this on their sleep:
- Spending half the night awake, prodding their snoring partner
- Requiring daytime naps
- Wearing earplugs
- Going to bed at a different time from their partner
- Sleeping in separate rooms
Some researchers have found that snoring is the third-leading cause of divorce, and for some, the sole reason for relationship breakdown.
Ways to Deal with Snoring
Snoring should not come between you and your partner. The key is identifying the cause of the snoring and finding the right solution to deal with it.
- Foremost, you need to have an open discussion with your partner about how their snoring is impacting your sleep. They need to know it is an issue from the outset if they are to address it.
- There are lifestyle changes you can tackle together to support your partner’s quest to stop snoring – exercise together, lose weight, stop smoking, moderate alcohol consumption, and eat smaller, healthier meals.
- Support your partner to see their doctor to ensure no underlying conditions are contributing to their snoring. This includes ruling out obstructive sleep apnoea as an issue.
- Some couples do find that sleeping in separate rooms works for them. It is by no means ideal, as sharing a bed is important for intimacy and relationship health. If you do elect to sleep separately, ensure to have some quality pre-sleep time together every night, to talk, cuddle, connect, and be otherwise intimate.
- Sleep earplugs may help if you are willing to use them.
- Using a White Noise machine may be beneficial to help mask the sound frequencies of snoring.
- Have the snorer try these stop snoring solutions:
- Raise the head of the bed by 10cm
- Sleep on their side
- Use a decongestant
- Treat allergies
- Avoid sedatives
- Use a proven stop snoring device like SnoreMD
- Use CPAP machine if diagnosed with sleep apnoea
- Address severe anatomical anomalies that cause snoring
- Be patient. Snoring is a medical condition – it’s not your partner’s fault. With some time and the right solutions, you can help your snoring partner and yourself to get a better night’s sleep.
Snoring Solution: SnoreMD
SnoreMD provides an effective, medically proven solution for snoring. Worn in the mouth when you sleep, it is a comfortable patented oral device which gently repositions the lower jaw, moving it very slightly forward. This helps to keep the airways open and this, in turn, alleviates snoring.
SnoreMD is affordable and risk-free and could be the solution you seek to stop snoring. Whether for yourself or your partner, SnoreMD might be just what it takes to solve your issues with snoring and the health impacts these have on you and your partner’s health, well-being, and relationship.