Have you made a New Year’s Resolution?
You might not have considered it, but better sleep may be the most important and powerful resolution you can set. Sleeping well has flow-on effects in so many areas of your life, health, and your physical, mental, emotional, and social wellbeing.
Did You Know?
- Sleeping well benefits everything from your cognitive function to your productivity, safety, mood, and maintenance of a healthy weight.
- The average adult aged 18-64 requires 7-9 hours of sleep per night; for those aged over 65, 7-8 hours nightly is recommended.
- At least 40% of Australians get too little sleep.
- 12% of Australians get fewer than 5.5 hours of sleep per night.
- Lack of sleep impairs cognition and the ability to make good choices.
- Road and workplace safety are diminished significantly by lack of sleep.
Alarmingly, one in five participants in a 2016 sleep survey reported having dozed off while driving.
Why is Sleep so Important?
Getting enough sleep is essential for your health and wellbeing.
During sleep, the brain processes information and creates space for new memories and learning. It also releases hormones in the body which control hunger and satiety, digestion, growth, repair, mood stabilisation, blood sugar levels and insulin sensitivity, blood pressure, pain tolerance, and a vast array of other complex physiological processes.
Lack of quality sleep impacts workplaces as well, in terms of accidents and incidents, as well as with people who don’t get enough sleep being more likely to take sick days.
Why Make Sleep Your New Year’s Resolution?
The exact amount of sleep which is ideal for you is very individualised; some people do best on seven hours nightly, whereas others require nine. Having too much sleep is just as much of an issue as too little.
When you get the right amount of quality sleep, you will:
- Have more energy
- Elevate your mood
- Wake feeling refreshed
- Not need daytime naps
- Perform better physically and mentally
- Maintain a healthy weight more easily
- Lose more weight
- Exercise more effectively
- Be safer on the road and in the workplace
- Have better relationships and social connections
- Make better choices
- Reduce your risk of developing chronic conditions including heart disease, Type II diabetes, obesity, sleep apnoea, and even cancer.
11 Tips to Sleep Better in 2021
There are numerous things you can do to help yourself get better sleep:
- Set a specific bedtime and waking time and stick to it – even on weekends.
- Give yourself time to wind down at night. Turn off electronic backlit devices at least an hour before bedtime. Darken the room as well as you prepare for sleep.
- Do not have a TV or use a computer in your bedroom. Ensure your bed is for sleeping, perhaps reading a book, and intimacy with your partner – nothing else, and definitely not for work!
- Make your sleeping space dark and comfortable – and remove distractions.
- When you are off work, don’t use an alarm clock. Let your body find its natural rhythm.
- Unless you are unwell or have had a rare late night, avoid daytime napping.
- Eat healthy, wholesome food in moderate portions and drink plenty of fresh water. Moderate alcohol intake and don’t have a large meal, alcohol, or caffeine within at least three hours of bedtime.
- Try not to sleep in too late on weekends.
- Exercise regularly and try to reach and maintain a healthy weight.
- Create bedtime habits – for example, take a warm bath, listen to soft music, have a chamomile tea or warm milk drink, or read a book at a regular time each night as you wind down before sleep.
- Speak to your doctor about issues like anxiety, allergies, insomnia, and snoring or sleep apnoea as all of these are health conditions which compromise your ability to sleep well. There are ways to overcome each of them.
Sleep Better in 2021 with SnoreMD
Sleeping better will make you happier, healthier, calmer, and safer. You’ll be more fun to be around and you’ll get more enjoyment out of life.
One very important factor in the effort to sleep better is to stop snoring. We can help!!
SnoreMD is a medically-proven, effective solution to help you stop snoring for better sleep. It is worn in the mouth during sleep and it works by gently repositioning the lower jaw to open the airways for easier breathing and less (or no) snoring.
SnoreMD is a top snoring treatment tool and is recommended by Sleep Clinics and Pharmacists. Affordable, reusable, and comfortable to wear, it is ideal for use by adults over the age of 18 years.
Alternatively, give us a call on 07 5370 9323.